Saturday, February 22, 2014

Oral Histories


            Oral histories are among my most favorite type of collection.  I’m fortunate because there are tapes at each of the institutions where I work so I’ve gotten to do a lot.  Some are really fascinating while others are just ok. A lot depends on the interviewer.  When I do transcripts, I make a verbatim transcript so as you read it you have a feel for how the person speaks.  Verbatim transcripts can be tedious to do because often the quality of the tape is poor, or people mumble or talk over each other.  It can be challenging.  I should have studied court stenography.  That would help, except then I think you have to transcribe the shorthand notes – twice the work.  Guess my way is best.

          The first step in doing an oral history is to make a copy of the original.  You’ll use the copy to do the transcript so you don’t risk damaging the original.  If you have an old audiotape there are still machines around that can make copies of tapes.  Of course, then you have to have an old tape recorder in order to listen to it.  The other alternative is to digitize them to CDs.  I have done both.  Once you have a copy you’re ready to go.  One of the librarians I work with suggested an application called the Amazing Slow Downer (http://amazing-slow-downer.en.softonic.com/).  It’s also available on ITunes.  This app was designed for music, but works great for CDs of oral histories.  You can adjust the speed of the speech as well as the bass and treble tones.  All of that can help with the transcription.  You can try this app for free. To buy it, I believe, is around fifty dollars.  I did fine with just the trial.

            Have fun with oral histories. There’s no telling what you will learn about the past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment