Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thoughts on Oral Histories



            Part of my job over the last six years has been to transcribe audiotapes from oral history projects at each of the institutions where I am a consultant.  I’ve blogged about this before, but recently as I have been finishing a project for one of the institutions I was reminded of some considerations I haven’t yet mentioned.  As I noted before I do verbatim transcriptions, which can be tedious, but are worth the effort.  That does require that the tape be of at least decent quality.  Unfortunately not all tapes are salvageable.  We have access to a machine that can be tuned to reduce background noise and enhance the voice recordings, but it’s not a miracle worker.  Sometimes you have to admit defeat.  Now I know there are companies that can take damaged recordings and salvage them, but some recordings are just not worth the cost.  It’s hard to admit defeat, but I have three that I just can’t transcribe.  What I will do is recommend that the institution keep the tapes in case there is a way to enhance them later.  Of course, the best way to increase the longevity of tapes is to store them vertically in a cool (about 68 degrees F, but not below 40 degrees), dry place in an acid free box.  The following pdf has good suggestions for care.   http://www.iowaconserveandpreserve.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/AudioTipSheet.pdf 
Digitization of your special tapes is a good idea.  I have had the impossible to transcribe tapes burned to a CD so at least there is a copy should the original audiotape completely crater. 

                Another issue if you are considering digitization is to make sure that you have signed permissions from the participants since making a tape public can potentially cause legal problems.  Keeping the recording so that it is available only within the institution is one solution that some institutions have tried.  Some choose to make it public and take their chances with a possible lawsuit. The potential issues are copyright and privacy.  If you have any doubt consult a lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment