Friday, February 27, 2015

Working with Architectural Plans


          I’m still working on architectural plans.  Why couldn’t the architects standardize size? That makes a difficult re-housing task even more difficult. File folders and boxes come in size 32x 40, but some of the plans are larger than that. If they are linens they can be rolled, but tracing paper or brittle vellum needs to flat. (Everything would be better stored flat.) One of my co-workers came up with what I think is a brilliant plan to move the 32x40 size boxes. Right now they are stored on what we are calling bread shelving, which is on wheels. (6 heavy gauge wire shelves like you see as a bakery)  The plan is to wheel the whole shelving unit from our office directly into a van and then unload it the same way.  (
 I’m still working on architectural plans.  Why couldn’t the architects standardize size? That makes a difficult re-housing task even more difficult. File folders and boxes come in size 32x 40, but some of the plans are larger than that. If they are linens they can be rolled, but tracing paper or brittle vellum needs to flat. (Everything would be better stored flat.) One of my co-workers came up with what I think is a brilliant plan to move the 32x40 size boxes. Right now they are stored on bread shelving, which is on wheels. (6 heavy gauge wire shelves like you see as a bakery)  The plan is to wheel the whole shelving unit from our office directly into a van and then unload it the same way.  (The plans have to be taken to the University of North Texas in Denton.  Hopefully they have s a loading dock. ) They plan to hold the boxes in place with shrink wrap. Great idea! I’ve been worried about this for months.   



Now I just have to figure out how to move the really large plan sets.  One of the supply houses has a larger size file folder so I got that.  It’s fine, but file folders especially of that size are floppy. These plans are also going to UNT so we have to figure out how to move them safely given that there are no boxes large enough for them.  I could make a box, but I’m not sure I could even get barrier board large enough.  My solution, but I’m open to suggestions, is to make a cover folder out of e-flute archival board.  I’d tie it closed with cotton tying tape. Using that type of housing would enable us to move the material out of the door because we could turn it on its side and it would be secure enough not to slide. In a box, if I was to make one, it could slide and be damaged. Working with oversized materials is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment