Friday, May 31, 2013

Let's go to a conference




Just got back from the Society of Southwest Archivist’s conference in Austin, Texas.  [http://southwestarchivists.org/]  Got out just before the heavy rains that caused massive flooding in San Antonio.  No rain here in the Rolling Plains.  It looks like August or September – all dried up.

It was my first time at this conference and it was great.  The organization is small enough not to be overwhelming.  I heard someone say about 290 people were registered.  The SSA covers six states – Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico, and Arizona – although anyone from anywhere can join.  And as I mentioned it was in Austin, which is a great city with the best restaurants and music scene anywhere.  This conference was so good I actually went to all the sessions – not my usual modus operandi.  I guess I shouldn’t admit that.

The first session I went to made me wish that I was back in school.  It was a case study of a re-created disaster management experience – part of a course in the Informational Technology Department at the University of Texas at Austin.  The first test addressed water damage.  They gathered all sorts of both objects and paper and drowned them in a sink. Then they tried different methods of salvage and preservation. Next they got another set of stuff and with the help of the fire department set things on fire and again practiced disaster rescue techniques. What a great training tool and such fun. Since I’ve had to deal with wet paper and burned paper that would have been helpful experience. Maybe I’ll practice at home.

Another tidbit that I learned was about a program called Archive-It.  (http://www.archive-it.org/)  This program is a web harvester and is used to archive websites by taking snapshots of web pages at set intervals.  University libraries and archives use the program to preserve their institutions web pages. Now that so much of information is born digital, documentation of course catalogs or department news or whatever can easily be lost.  With this program you can set it to crawl specific web pages at whatever interval you want and it will take a snapshot of the page say once a month or once a semester or whenever.  Archives responsible for preservation of their institutions’ digitally born history should really look into this. I’m telling my institutions about it.  Of course it costs money, but the presenters felt that its usability made it well worth the cost.

The highlight of the conference for me was a case study of a new collection at the library of the School of Architecture at the University of Texas at Austin. Beth Dodd, Architecture and Planning Library Curator, talked about an unbelievably rich collection of photographs, drawings, and unpublished notes and reports on the architecture of the Maya by George and Gerrie Andrews.  I’m so jealous.  I’d love to work on something like that.  Why? Well, I happen to have a PhD in archaeology although my specialty is Maya ceramics not architecture.  I used to work in Belize and I’ve seen some of the sites documented in this collection, but not all.  How many certified archivists with a background in Maya studies could there be? It would be such fun, especially to see pictures taken in the fifties and sixties. Maybe I should go volunteer to work on that collection. As an added bonus, it is Austin.

See: [http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/utaaa/00060/aaa-00060.html] for the Andrews Maya Architecture collection

No comments:

Post a Comment